Thursday, April 22, 2010

Don't scare us like that Malli!

Yesterday afternoon Mallory and I were running around the house dancing a “Splish Splash” Sesame Street CD.I stood her up at her activity table which makes music and lights up. She is getting pretty good and standing on her own. I ran into the kitchen and on my way back into the room I saw her leaning and about to fall. I ran to catch her but didn’t get there in time. She fell sideways and landed on her side and on her shoulder and then her head hit the carpet later. The fall didn’t look too hard but I swear I heard a weird crack noise. She started to cry and I rushed to pick her up to comfort her. She cried for about 10 seconds and then she suddenly stopped crying. I noticed her eyes rolling up in her head, her body went completely limp in my arms and she was not breathing. At that moment so many things rushed though my mind. I started shouting her name and shaking her and trying to get her to wake up as I ran to the phone to call 911. I was so worried something happened to her neck since I heard a crack noise and she went limp. I continued to call out her name and try to wake her when after about 10 more seconds I noticed her eyes start to open but she looked really out of it. She was so dazed and I was so frightened still. She was breathing now and sitting up on my lap. I gave her a picture book and she slowly started to flip through the pages. Since she was doing better I thought I probably don’t need to call 911 anymore but hurried to call Porter. Luckily he picked up and I told him what was going on. My heart was still racing and I was shaking as I told him what happened and scared Porter half to death. She still was not herself completely but as each minute passed she seemed to be doing a lot better and acting more alert. We decided not to take her to the Dr. since she was acting fine at this point.
As the day went she seemed like her usual self but at it drew closer to her bed time I began to worry about putting her to bed. I talked to Britt and she thought I should take her in to the Dr. just to be sure she was okay to go to bed. Plus, it just didn’t seem normal for her to go limp and stop breathing. So, I took her in at 8 o’clock. The Dr. said he can’t be positive without doing a CT scan but that she looked good and since she had been eating well and not showing any abnormal symptoms like throwing up, fussiness, or eye dilation she was probably fine. He said it sounds like she is a “breath holder”. I guess some kids hold their breath when they are really upset and faint. He said it can be very scary but they usually wake up fine after a few seconds. I guess it is a blessing that is all it was. I am just hoping she doesn’t do it again.
I felt I had lost my little girl. I was so scared and felt so helpless as I prayed for help in the terrible moment. Ever since this happened I can’t stop thinking of what a blessing Mallory is in our lives and how precious she is. I am so grateful we have a happy ending. We love you Mallory. You scared us to death yesterday!!!!!!!

And... here you are today braving the activity table again! :) I love your dance moves! :)

8 comments:

grandma zona said...

We are so happy that she is okay. I can imagine how scared you were and we pray it doesnt happen again. She looks so cute doing her dance. We are having so much fun with Brynlie and Dayton. Love you all so much and miss you. Grandma and Gramps

Traci Butler said...

Wow, I'm glad she is ok! She is getting so big and she is such a doll. I love the leg warmers in the video!

jilliann said...

Oh my goodness Domini, I can't even imagine that moment. How awful for you! So glad she is okay, she is just a doll.

DeWitts said...

so glad you took her to the doctor just to make sure she's alright.

the leg warmers look so cute on her. we are going to have fun this summer making all kinds of stuff for her.

Kacie said...

Whew! So scary! Its so scary when things happen like that, kids like to scare us! Anyways, Koby is trying to think of any place in 6th ward where you guys could move so he can have Porter in sports. Did you find a place yet? We would LOVE to have you here in 6th ward but not just because of sports! I want a friend and the girls would love Malli. Let us know where you end up!

Jenn said...

Soooo scary!! I would have been terrified! I am so glad to hear she is doing ok though. :) I actually used to be the same way as a kid. My Mom said I would scream so loud and then hold my breath till I turned blue and some times faint after wards. It scared her too!! Good luck! She is such a cutie. :)

Stacy said...

So scary. I am sorry you had to go through that! I dumbly put Reddin on the couch the other day (he was sleeping) and ran outside. He rolled off and I heard him crying from outside. Luckily when I picked him up he stopped and was totally fine. I couldn't imagine losing the little guys. Way to hang in there.

The Hille's said...

Ha Ha! So cute! Kids are so much fun! She is adorable!