This week has been full of ups and downs. These girls are typically so happy and full of energy but two Thursdays ago Mallory started the rough sounding croup cough. She also started running a fever to we took her to the Dr. the next morning and he gave her a steroid shot and said she would improve with that but still have a bit of a cough for a while and to just try to keep her and Kaisley separate if possible. So... we tried and this is how things went (see picture below).
Anyway, Mallory's fever and cough persisted for 4 long days and on that Sunday night we heard Kaisley start the dreaded cough. So, Monday morning we were back in the Dr.'s office having Kaisley looked at. Once again, Dr. said she probably had croup or a cold and to not bring her back in unless she had a fever over 101 or had more than 60 respiration's a minute without stopping. So, we went home. The two girls did not feel good to say the least but Daddy's birthday was the next day so we were excited to try to have a fun day.
Then on Thursday I became more concerned about Kaisley. She still had not started a fever and her reparations seemed faster (at times they were 60 per minute) but then she would settle down and they would become more regular. I was still worried though and she started gagging from her long coughing spells and throw up when I would feed her. She was struggling to breathe and I called the Dr. again to see if they would see her. They said that she just had a cold that need to run its course since she did not have the fever and continuous fast breathing. So, despite my concern we went to bed Thursday night. Kaisley was worse that night and at 12:30 AM began throwing up over and over again from the coughing and was breathing super fast and her little eyes looked fearful as she panted for air saying "help me mom!" That is when I knew, I am going to take her in right now! I don't care what they keep telling me.
So... low and behold, we ended up admitted that night at about 1:30 AM. Kaisley tested positive for RSV and her chest xray showed viral pneumonia. They said, "we are going to admit her overnight", so, I was thinking we would be going home the next day.
It broke my heart to watch her go through all the poking and prodding and struggling to breathe. She had cords an IV attached to her making it difficult for me to hold and love on her and nursing was not that easy either, especially since her tummy was so unsettled from all of the mucus she was swallowing. I guess they say RSV is so bad because the mucus is soooo thick that the little ones have a hard time breathing through there narrow air passages and they have a hard time clearing it. I think that yucky mucus that was filling her lungs and clogging up her nose and throat was making her gag and throw up.
She continued on monitors to watch her reparations and breathing treatments and other than that we just had to wait for the virus to run its course.
I hated this darn IV and was so excited when it was finally time to take it out and come home! (day 4)
p.s. we sent Mallory to AZ for the week to spend time with her grandparents there. I have been sooooo sad without her around... The house is so quite. I love being a mother and can't wait for her to get back and for us to get to be a "normal" family again. Fun thing is, she is just fine without us and having a great time :) haha