Friday, March 25, 2011

Breastfeeding soapbox

Well, it seems every spare second I have in the day, while Mallory is sleeping, I am studying about lactation for my big exam to become a consultant coming up in July. I figured I should blog about it since I stay awake at night thinking about what I learned that day or even dream about test questions. To say the least, this is what has been consuming me lately. I never thought I would be a "breastfeeding freak" haha but I am. It is soooo darn amazing and I am not embarrassed to say that I still nurse Mallory. I was just getting close to weaning her at 15 months when I started pulling out my old books and reviewing material from previous breastfeeding courses I took while working at WIC to start studying for the exam. After re-reading and learning about the benefits of breastfeeding for toddlers I was so amazed and recommitted to nursing Mallory longer. If you are thinking, how much could there be to study about breastfeeding? Well...there is so darn much to learn, even the leading scientists have not scratched the surface. I feel a bit overwhelmed to know all that I need to for the exam but am so grateful to have had the knowledge I have started to gain about lactation thrown in my path. I had not thought of becoming a lactation consultant until I started working at WIC and worked with so many wonderful breastfeeding advocates and I had so many great opportunities to attend amazing trainings! I am really excited about becoming a consultant and hope I will be able to put in the time to learn all I need to in order to pass. These next few months will be busy with work, a Flordia trip, and moving to another state for Porter to start school. Wish me luck.
p.s. If any of you have questions about breastfeeding please call me! I love to help and it helps me get better prepared for the test. There are soooo many darn issues and situations with breastfeeding... don't feel "unusual" if you are struggling. Breastfeeding does not come naturally.. it takes a lot of work and help from others providing helpful information....
p.s.s. don't feel guilty if you didn't breastfeed long. It is super hard at first and there are different things we all face. Just feel happy you tried and your baby got that most important early milk. :)
Okay. .... I know... that is enough! Have a good day!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i am so glad i breastfed Bentley for almost 13 months. She was the most awful eater in the world, and still is but all the benefits of it really kept me going! good for her and good for me!

one question, i have heard a lot of different stories on how many calories you burn while nursing, is there an exact amount? and how come while nursing your body stores a little extra fat?

sarahbeach@Hotmail.com

Stacy said...

You will do awesome on the exam Dom, I just know it. Maybe with my next kid I will stick breastfeedin past 15 months...and I love that you are a "hippi chick", I am right along there with you. Now if we could just get these White Mountain towns to start recycling.

Larson Family said...

I didn't know you were doing that! How exciting. I have worked with a lot of lactation consultants both as a patient and a postpartum nurse and have been so grateful for everything I've learned. I still have new questions every time I work. I would call you, but usually the questions occur between 10 pm and 7 am, so don't worry, I won't call you at that time. Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great on the exam.

jilliann said...

I love it!
Ella was 13 months and I stopped because I was going back to school. I couldn't pump while I was gone, no place for that at my school :( so I pretty much dried right up. I am a definite advocate though.
Good luck on your exam, you are going to be amazing!